History of District


Dera Murad Jamali
Dera Murad Jamali

Nasirabad is a district in the centre-west of Balochistan, Pakistan. Nasirabad's headquarters are at Dera Murad Jamali. Its original name was Temple Dera, named after Captain H. M. Temple, a career British civil servant, who served as the Political Agent for Sibi from 1891 to 1892.
Among the local population it is still known as 'Tipul', a corruption of the word 'temple'. The District was notified in 1974. For three years, from July 1987 to December 1990, it was known as Tamboo District. Tamboo is a small village 40 km west of Dera Murad Jamali. The district has two sub-divisions, D.M. Jamali and Chattar.

Administration

The District is administratively subdivided into three Tehsils, these are:
  • Chattar
  • Dera Murad Jamali
  • Tamboo
  • Population

    The population of Nasirabad district is estimated to be over 350,000 in 2005.

    Language

    Local languages are Sindhi,Brohi, Saraiki and Balochi . Official languages are Urdu and English
    TEHSILS & UNIONS IN THE DISTRICT OF NASIRABAD.
    Tehsil Unions Total Unions

    Chattar

    CHATTAR, DOULAT GHARI, PHULEJI, SHAH PUR, SHORI DHARBI

    5

    Dera Murad Jamali

    BEDAR, GHARBI D.M.JAMALI, JHUDAIR JANOBI, JHUDAIR SHUMALI, MANJHOOTI, QUBA SHER KHAN, SHERQI D.M. JAMALI

    7

    Tamboo

    ALI ABAD, ALLAH ABAD, GOLA WAH, KHAROOS WAH, KOHANG TAMBOO, MANJHOO SHORI, MIR WAH

    7

    Total Number of Tehsils = 3 and Total Unions = 19