History of District


Sibi
Sibi

Sibi is a district in the Balochistan province of Pakistan. The main mountain ranges are Zen, Bambore and Dungan. The climatic and topography of Sibi District is quite varied compared to other districts of Balochistan. It is also known as the "Hot spot" of Pakistan where the temperatures in the summer exceed far above normal 52.6 °C (126.7 °F). The district has two tehsils, Sibi and Lehri, which are further organized into sub-tehsils.

Sibi is connected to Quetta via the Bolan Pass.

Bolan Pass depicted on a 1910 advertisement card for Liebig Meat Extract Company

History

Until the end of the 15th century the district had been a dependency of Multan and had been part of Ghaznavid Empire ruled by petty chief named Nasiruddin Kubacha. Around 1500 it was taken by Shah Beg of the Arghun Dynasty from Samma Dynasty of Sultan of Sindh and so came under the control of Kandahar. However, during the period of Mughal rule the territory was once again ruled from Multan.

Sibi
Sibi

In 1714, the territory was conquered by the Kalhoras Amirs of Sindh, but they were then displaced by the Durranis. During the short rule of the Durranis the local administrators were nominated from the Barozai sub clan of the Panni Tribe.

In the 19th century it fell under Marris and Bugtis hand. To finish rebellion in the area as raised by Marri & Bugti tribes, the British signed the treaty with Khan of Kalat in late 19th century where under the Sibi, Shalkot and Chagai territory was leased out to British India.

The District of Sibi was established in 1903 during British Rule its area was larger than the current district and lay between 27°55' and 30°38'N and 67°17' and 69°50'E lying south of Loralai District, north of the Upper Sind Frontier District, west of Dera Ghazi Khan District and east of Kachhi, Bolan Pass and Quetta- Pishin. The total area of the district was 11,281 square miles (29,220 km2), but this included Marri Bugti county (7,129 square miles) which was not directly administered by the British, leaving 4,152 square miles (10,750 km2) that was directly administered by the British.

The District of Sibi was established in 1903 during British Rule its area was larger than the current district and lay between 27°55' and 30°38'N and 67°17' and 69°50'E lying south of Loralai District, north of the Upper Sind Frontier District, west of Dera Ghazi Khan District and east of Kachhi, Bolan Pass and Quetta- Pishin. The total area of the district was 11,281 square miles (29,220 km2), but this included Marri Bugti county (7,129 square miles) which was not directly administered by the British, leaving 4,152 square miles (10,750 km2) that was directly administered by the British.

Sibi
Sibi

In 1974 the district was subdivided to create Naseerabad and Kohlu districts, in 1983 Dera Bugti District, and in 1986 Ziarat District. Until 2000 and after 2000, Tehsil Harnai of Sibi District became a new District named Harnai District. Presently Sibi District comprises of two Tehsils i.e. Sibi & Lehri.